Contact Lookup Fast User Guide
Throughout this user guide we refer to Contact Lookup Fast as CLF.
Follow this link for the CLF Settings Guide.
Follow this link for search hints.
Getting the Application
Opening the Application
To open CLF, just click the application icon, shown on the right, on your Android device.
First Time Install
The first time CLF is installed, it will read your contacts and create it’s own index of contents. Depending upon your device, this may take a few minutes.
Whilst this is occurring, you will also be prompted to set CLF as a searchable application. This allows CLF to be integrated with the default Android search tools, such as Google Search and Google Now. In the current OS 4, Searchable Items are known as Phone Search.
- Press the Search Settings button to be taken to the Search Settings page.
- On OS4, press “Phone search”.
- Ensure Contact Lookup Fast is selected to make it searchable.
The Search Screen
The CLF search screen allows you to enter any search text in the “Search contacts” entry field. As soon as you start typing, CLF will start to look for contacts and display matching ones in the list below. All the fields and labels that are in a contact will be searched from this screen. A typical search is shown in the results, below:
- The title bar showing the number of contacts that have been found.
- The sharing action icon that allows all contacts in the search results to be sent an email or text message
- The action bar overflow icon that shows settings and other options
- The history icon. Pressing this icon opens the recent search history list
- The search entry field
- The clear icon. Pressing this clears the search entry text.
- The search button. Press this to run the search, especially if auto-search is turned off.
- The contacts icon. Pressing this opens the quick contact badge.
- The search results showing the contact name and the matching search text. Pressing a search result will open the default Android contact details viewer, or Contact View if installed and enabled.
For users with a large number of contacts, a simple search may return too many results to quickly scan through. In these cases, users may want to target a search to specific categories so that spurious results are not shown. For instance, a name search will not show any results that have the same term in a note.
To help with this, there is a category search form that is accessible by swiping from right to left.
- Enter search terms in any of the search categories. Multiple terms can be used across any number of categories
- Press the search icon to start the search. You will be taken back to the search screen and shown the results.
- Press the clear icons to remove any of the search terms.
Swipe left-to-right to see the groups screen.
- The groups screen shows all the contact groups.
- Press a group to see all the contacts in that group.
- The count next to the group name shows the number of contacts in the group. This feature can be enabled in the settings menu.
Integration with Google Search and Google Now
If you have enabled CLF in the searchable item’s (or Phone Search), then you can perform searches from the Google Search application or Google Now. Just open these applications and type the name of a contact. CLF will be invoked and results will appear in the list.
- Enter your contact search terms in Google Search
- You will need to switch to “’Phone Search’ to see the results.
Pressing any of the contact images will show the quick contact badge. You can use this to quickly call or email the selected contact. This works even for contacts that don’t have an image icon.
The search history remembers the last 50 searches that have been made.
- Press the search history icon to open the history list.
- Press a history item to run the search again.
There is a settings option that allows shows and filters the search history as you type. If you use Search History frequently, then it may be beneficial to turn on this option.
Long pressing a contact result will open the context menu
- Press View to see the contact details in the default Contact application, e.g. People
- Press Edit to open the contact in the default Contact edit application.
- Press “Create calendar entry” to open the default calendar application with a calendar entry populated with some of the contact’s details, as shown below.
There are a number of menu options that you can choose from:
- New Contact. Opens the default contact manager to create a new contact.
- Settings. Opens the application settings screen. Read more about settings in the Settings Guide.
- Rebuild Index. CLF uses an internal index to achieve it’s superior speed. Whilst this index is built dynamically and should pick up changes, you can force a rebuild at any time using this option.
- Create Shortcut. CLF can create shortcuts on your home screen of pre-configured searches. If you find you are always searching for the same thing, then create a shortcut for it and save time!
- Toggle Theme. Toggle between a light and dark theme.
- Clear Search History. CLF remembers the last 50 searches you have made. Use this menu option to clear the search history.
- What’s New? Shows a list of recent changes.
- About. Shows the CLF about screen which includes the version number and the count of contacts. On some devices, the time the index was rebuilt is also shown.
Sharing (eMail, vCards and SMS)
CLF allows you to send all the contacts in the current search results list an email or text message (SMS).
Furthermore, it allows you to select contacts and then send their contact details as vCards in an email attachment. vCards are the standard format for exchanging contact details and are supported by most contact systems.
- Run a search or view groups for people you want to share with
- Press the sharing action icon (press menu on older Android OS)
- Select “Send email”, “Share vCard” or “Send SMS”
- The sharing screen will open with the contacts and their default contact details (email or SMS)
- Long press a contact to change the default contact detail (not used when sending vCards).
- Select the ‘Use multiple contact details’ to send a message to all the contacts possible contact’s details (not used when sending vCards).
- Press Send/Share to open the email or SMS application and it will be populated with your contact’s details (or vCards added as attachments). You can now enter a message and send it to all the contacts.
- When sending an email or SMS, if a contact does not have an email or SMS address, then the contact cannot be selected.
- Deselect any contact you do not want to share/send with.
- By default, emails are sent as Bcc (Blind Carbon Copy). You can change this option in CLF settings and choose from To, Cc or Bcc.
- The latest GMail client has a bug that does not show Bcc or Cc entries by default. Press the menu action button and choose “Add Cc/Bcc” to see them.