You probably know that Contact Lookup Fast on Android can search your contacts, but it can do more than that.
In the video below, we show how you can search for employees of Microsoft by using the organisation category prefix (o:). This quickly pops up the employees, but we notice that one suspicious employee is from Finland, so we modify the search to exclude anyone from Finland* using the exclusion modifier (!).
Having searched, we can then email, sms or send their vCards using the share option. This opens another screen where you can tailor the list to exclude people or change the contact address.
* Technically we should have used the address category (a:!finland) to make sure we only exclude people with addresses in Finland, as without the category prefix CLF would exclude any contact with Finland in any field.
Contact Lookup Fast is available from the Google Play Store.
View Your Contact Events
There are many Android widgets that allow you to view calendar events, some even mix in tasks and the odd one will show Contact events. There are also some dedicated Contact Event viewing applications, but Contact Event widgets seem to be thin on the ground.
Fear not, SoftWyer have created one!
Contact events are the special dates that are associated with individual contacts. The obvious ones are Birthdays and Anniversaries, but with Android and GMail, you can create custom contact events. These can be anything you like, any event linked to a person or organisation that you want to remember; the day you resigned, the date you bought your cat, the day your friend divorced, etc.
The widget is intelligent and will automatically update when a new contact event is created or an existing one is changed.
Contact Lookup Events is a widget for Android OS 4.x and above. Just drag it onto your home screen and it will list all of your Contacts that have events in date order. The events that are happening soonest are shown at the top.
- Clickable to open Google’s Quick Contact Viewer.
- Styling and formatting improvements with sectional titles like today, this week, next week, etc.
- Highlighting of important anniversaries, such as 10, 15, 20, 25, 50. Similarly important birthdays (at least in the UK) such as 10,13,16,18,21,30,40, etc.
- Exclude contacts by adding them to a group called ‘CLE Hidden’
We’re also planning to make a paid version that will allow you to:
- Choose the event types to show. You can have separate widgets for Birthdays, Anniversaries, etc.
- Different themes and, possibly, styles
- Clickable names to open the full contact details
- Clickable calendar icon to open the calendar
- Exclude groups and accounts. Don’t want to see obituary dates, add the dead contacts to a group and automatically exclude them
- Highlighting of important anniversaries with icons. Birthdays have candles, anniversaries have hearts, deaths have crosses (or is that too morbid…)
Contact Lookup Events is available from the Google Play Store.
Yanc received a useful update this week.
Now, instead of dimming, YANC Pro will switch off your phone and, with a wave of your hand, turn it back on again to see the time. After a few seconds it will turn off again.
This is a huge battery saver which means you can leave YANC Pro running in the background, even when you have no external power connected.
Furthermore, it resolves the odd complaint that it’s too bright and the other favourite the buttons don’t dim. Sorted.
This new feature requires a device with a proximity sensor to work. Some devices, such as the Nexus 7, do not have proximity sensors.
You can find YANC Pro on the Google Play site.
This post details the advanced search options that are available in Contact Lookup Fast (CLF).
Follow this link for the user guide.
Follow this link for the settings guide.
Getting the Application
Throughout this settings guide we refer to Contact Lookup Fast as CLF.
This post describes the settings used in CLF. You can access the settings by opening the application and selecting the Settings options from the menu or overflow dropdown.
Follow the link for search hints.
Note that not all options are available on all Android OS versions.
Throughout this user guide we refer to Contact Lookup Fast as CLF.
Follow this link for the CLF Settings Guide.
Follow this link for search hints.
Getting the Application
Opening the Application
To open CLF, just click the application icon, shown on the right, on your Android device.
End of Life Announcement
From March 2013 we are no longer actively developing the Contact Lookup Pro application.
With the ability of Contact Lookup Fast to search newly changed contacts there is no longer a ‘Unique Selling Proposition’ with Contact Lookup Pro and selling both applications is just confusing to potential customers.
For the remainder of 2013 we will fix any critical defects with Contact Lookup Pro for Android OS versions 4.2.2 and below.
Upgrade to Contact Lookup Fast
Users who have recently bought Contact Lookup Pro can upgrade to Contact Lookup Fast. All you have to do is purchase Contact Lookup Fast from Google Play and then email us with the invoice details of both purchases. We will then refund the purchase of Contact Lookup Pro.
Note, if Contact Lookup Pro is working fine for you, then there is no reason to upgrade.
Terms of Upgrade.
1) Purchase of Contact Lookup Pro must have been made in the past 6 months.
2) We are sometimes restricted by Google and may not be able to refund your purchase of Contact Lookup Pro. Where this happens, we will refund your purchase of Contact Lookup Fast. You will no longer be able to use Contact Lookup Fast, although you can still use Contact Lookup Pro
3) We reserve the right to not refund customers and this is at our discretion.
4) Once we have refunded Contact Lookup Pro, we will not refund any purchases of Contact Lookup Fast.
5) We will wait a period of one week after the purchase of Contact Lookup Fast before we refund Contact Lookup Pro. This is to ensure that you are happy with the new application and to avoid any ‘gaming’ of this offer.